Saturday, July 10, 2010

28 Days! 4 weeks!



Day 28. July 10.

This morning, for the Lions, we put out pine branches that the Tigers had yesterday (so they smelled of Tiger!). Sarabi loves the pine branches the most. Angela said they get Christmas tree donations after December and Sarabi LOVED having one!

So after Lions, we headed to Brown Bears, as usual. When we pulled up, the Bison were lying nearby and one was rolling around giving himself a dustbath. :) We had to administer some meds to Russel who got a booboo on her head. We opened the capsules and sprinkled the powder into some Swiss Rolls (YUM!) She ate them right away, but could tell something was amiss with the taste! Smarty. Since Claire was in the room too, I fed her some dried cherries for distraction. :) Then we went outside to throw out all the breakfasts while Matt stayed in the hut to let the boys out. Victor laid down in the entry yard and wouldn't cross through the tunnel into his own yard for about half an hour!

During that time I had to be driven to Lion Tower because the volunteer called out. Cars can't go into the Lion area until someone is in the Tower, so there were about 5 cars lined up waiting for me! eek! (It was about 25 minutes after opening) While I sat in the Tower I saw Sarabi carrying one of the pine branches around, then lying in the grass chewing on it. :) I only stayed there for half an hour before someone came to take my place. poo... I was taken back to Brown Bear hut to help Matt finish cleaning it. Victor had just then gone into his own yard with the other boys, so we were able to let the girls out- what patient girls!

We had a Lion 101 encounter to do, so Valerie picked up the training meat while I picked up the people in a Safari van. It was a family of 3, very nice and very happy people. :) Valerie had me do some of the talking, but she is a good conversationalist, so she did a lot of talking too. I didn't mind. Matt & I had to clean the Lion hut next, then take our lunch break.

Right after lunch we had a Big Bear encounter with a large group. All three of us (Valerie, Matt, & I) helped talk, but I did the intro and training of the Grizzly boys. :) I think I clicked incorrectly a few times, but it was fine. There were a few very small kids, about Alex's age, that enjoyed throwing the apples out to the bears. Sometimes they dropped the apple short, so I would hand it back so they could try again. From there I just walked over to the Bear Tower (30 feet away) and gave the volunteer a lunch break. The Bears were all sleeping while I was up there. It's been very hot lately, so many of the animals are sluggish. Next, I was driving to meet Valerie & Matt at QB to finish preparing the Bear dinners, and on the way passed Black Bears I saw Little Girl sitting on top of her cave hill. :) CUTIE!

Once dinners were ready we took them to Brown Bear hut to set up the rooms with their dinners, and then to Black Bears to throw their dinners to them over the fences. They got their dog food and nuts in boxes. This is a form of enrichment, and also a deterrent to birds who want to eat the food too! I had to wash all those buckets we had used to transport the dinners (which I didn't mind since the freezer is at QB and I stood in it (door open) to cool off!) The end of the day was at hand, so we met up at Black Bears to put them into their proper pens (Takoda stays with Chochmo during the day, then switches to being with Donna at night. Soon they will try to get all three together, but Donna has been aggressive towards Chochmo so far).

To finish out the day, we put the Lions to bed with their dinners with no fuss, went to let the Brown Bears into their huts (and give Russel more meds in Swiss Rolls), then closed the gates.
On my way out of the park, passing all the cow fields, I saw a couple Mama cows nursing their calves! ^_^

Bye for now...

1 comment:

  1. When you feed the bears, do you HAND them the stuff?

    You should take pics of the other volunteers, so we can picture them when you tell stories!!

    What do you say to people while in the van? or during the encounters?

    ReplyDelete